About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Reporting to the Senior Electrical Engineer, the Electrical Engineer will design and maintain electrical distribution and substation systems. Responsibilities include:
- designing, writing specifications, preparing cost estimates and managing and coordinating multiple electric utility distribution system projects of varying types and complexity;
- designing, coordinating and directing installation, maintenance and operation activities related to substations, control systems, primary and secondary distribution systems, and street lighting systems to ensure a cost effective, safe and reliable electrical system;
- testing, trouble-shooting and assisting in the installation of relaying, controls and communication systems; and
- providing customer service concerning technical issues.
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering or related field; OR bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering and related work experience equivalent to an advanced degree.
- Experience with electrical distribution systems.
- Working knowledge of National Electrical Code and National Electrical Safety Code.
- Experience using personal computers and a variety of office software.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Virginia Responsible Land Disturber Certificate within 3 months of employment.
- Must have the ability to analyze and resolve technical problems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience using AutoCad.
- Knowledge of substation relaying, metering, and computer control systems.
- Experience utilizing and understanding civil engineering drawings.
- Supervisory experience.
- Registration as a professional engineer.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 01/09/2017