Executive Director, Bits & Watts Initiative - 73315
Seeking Executive Director, Stanford Bits & Watts Initiative:
Seeking exceptional candidates to serve as the Executive Director of the Bits & Watts Initiative, a high-impact new Stanford led innovation initiative to enable the development of the 21st century electric grid.
The Executive Director will lead the development, management, and execution of the Bits & Watts Initiative, collaborating closely with and reporting directly to two Bits & Watts Faculty Directors.
The Stanford Bits & Watts Initiative:
Bits & Watts is a new holistic and integrated initiative that brings together faculty and researchers from all across the Stanford community to work hand-in-hand with key stakeholders from across the global electric power ecosystem. Bits & Watts will seek to address the fundamental technology, regulatory, market, and business model issues that must be resolved to enable a 21st century electric grid that is simultaneously low-carbon, reliable, resilient, and affordable.
The Bits & Watts Initiative will seek to bring together leaders from the electric power ecosystem, leaders from the Data Science community and other adjacent advanced technology communities, together with Stanford researchers, to tackle critical challenges and opportunities presented by the rapidly evolving global electric power landscape including increasing penetrations of renewable power, reduction of baseload thermal power, the proliferation of Distributed Energy Resources (DERs), the accelerating introduction of advanced information and communication technologies, the introduction of energy storage into the grid, new market structures and pricing schemes, new business models and regulations and many other emerging drivers of change.
The Bits & Watts Initiative will work closely with the electricity ecosystem and implement significant integrated innovation across three core areas: Research, Education, and Honest-Broker Convening.
Bits & Watts has already secured its initial external financial support and sponsors and has a vision of becoming a $10-$20M/year initiative in the near term.
The ideal candidate will have multiple, but not necessarily all, of the following attributes:
- Significant and Diverse Experience and Expertise in the Electricity Sector: Significant experience, knowledge, and network in multiple facets of electric power systems, ideally including the electric power industry, electric power-related research and development, and electric power markets and regulation. Strong candidates will have experience with and understanding of emerging trends in electric power systems and a thoughtful view on how these systems might optimally evolve going into the future. Strong candidates will be expected to have > 5 years of experience in these areas.
- Significant Data Science/Advanced Computational Modeling/Machine Learning/Big Data Analytics Experience and Expertise: Significant (or at least some) experience, knowledge, and network in the areas of cutting-edge data science, advanced computational modeling, machine learning, and/or big data analytics. Experience in handling data privacy, stewardship, and protection issues is also strongly desired. Strong candidates will be expected to have > 5 years of experience in these relevant areas.
- Strong Organizational and Management Experience and Skills: Significant experience and track record of success in leading and managing complex, multi-disciplinary organizations and teams is desired.
Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Direct programs or functions of university wide impact in consultation with senior leadership.
- Lead strategic planning and analysis for complex university functions or programs with significant business, regulatory and/or technical challenges requiring subject matter expertise. Manage and direct the development, implementation, administration and evaluation of functions or programs. Monitor trends and recommend program direction.
- Act as the subject matter expert for School/unit and/or the university regarding the interpretation, implementation and compliance with policies and regulations. Recommend actions and/or resolve complex issues that span organizational boundaries.
- Represent the program or function at the university level and/or to external constituencies.
- Direct and manage outreach strategy that may include relationship development, communications, and compliance.
- Oversee or supervise staff in the development and implementation of functions or programs.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelors degree and ten years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience. A PhD is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to influence and motivate constituencies which could span multiple organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated excellent planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions using good business judgment and innovative and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial, organizational and staff resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to cultivate professional and business partnerships.
- Relevant subject matter expertise.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Experience in or knowledge of business process improvement methodology.
- Ability to act independently and as part of a team.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Rarely lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the Universitys Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Dean of Research
Job Code: 4124