A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position; include the cover letter as the first page of your resume. It should specifically address your interest in this position and outline particular skills and experience directly related.
The University of Michigan Battery Lab is a unique campus facility designed to allow academic and external users to scale up, characterize and test new energy storage materials. The Battery Lab is located on the UM North Campus in Ann Arbor, MI. A Laboratory Technician is needed to help customers with both fabrication and characterization procedures of solid state batteries, as well as routine laboratory maintenance.
* Train users in equipment operation and laboratory techniques, explain and demonstrate technology and equipment capabilities, operations, limitations and outcomes.
* Understand the fundamentals of coating, electrode processing and cell assembly (coin and stacked prismatic cell) process, work with customers to execute demonstration-scale production runs and solve problems as they arise.
* Interact in a professional manner with Battery Lab customers from both within and without the University.
* Collaborate with scientists and engineers throughout the organization to continuously improve existing processes and procedures.
* In collaboration with UMEI leadership and staff, ensure the battery user facility is operating safely, efficiently and within its allocated budget.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science (or related field). A Master’s degree or equivalent amount of professional experience is preferred.
* 4-5 years of experience setting up and operating manufacturing and analysis equipment for energy storage materials
* 1-3 years of experience in solid state battery materials, electrodes, cell performance and abuse characterization.
* Electrochemical test equipment experience is required: multimeter, potentiostat, galvanostat, frequency response analyzer, multi-channel battery tester setup and operation is expected.
* Ability to efficiently communicate with technicians, scientist and engineers.
* Ability to work efficiently in a multitasking, rapid-cycle development environment.
* Able to work in a production environment and move 50 lbs.
* Able to work in a low humidity environment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 177756
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.